Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Friday, December 27, 2013

Friday Friends - Australian Makers - sjsmith.com.au

It's Friday again readers - how was your Christmas break? I am grateful it is all over for another year, truth be told. Is it too early to take down the tree yet? Bah Humbug I know, I know. 

Today I introduce to you a new Friday Friend and Australian Maker, meet the very clever Sarah-Jane from sjsmith.com.au. 
Sarah is a skilled artisan and her creations include gorgeous textiles, paintings and home-wares.  

I love these urchin bowls - stylish and super practical storage solutions! 
This darling Crocheted Crocodile Stitch bag is too cute for words!
And for a different gift wrapping idea that can be used again as a sweet hanging decoration, try this heart garland!
Lovely readers, I invite you now to put your feet up and to relax for a short while, to read The Story of sjsmith.com.au. Have a lovely weekend and I will see you all on Sunday for the weekend blog post xo♥
The Story of sjsmith.com.au
sjsmith.com.au is just me, Sarah-Jane Smith crafting and designing away at my home at Brisbane’s Bayside.
I’ve always drawn and painted and, occasionally, sold my art work but it’s been sporadic.  My aunt taught me to crochet when I was about eight and I’ve always loved watching a piece grow and develop.  About five years ago I crocheted a lap rug for my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law said I should sell them. 
I didn’t take the hint at the time.  A few years on I was visiting a local gallery and the owner remarked on my crochet handbag. “You should be selling your bags”.  Luckily, this time I took the message the universe was sending me.
I opened my online shops on Etsy and Madeit  and started a website, joined some local craft organisations and off I went.  I am still a babe in the woods as far as marketing goes but I love learning new things and the comradery the craft community offer.
My most recent work is mostly crochet but I have also worked in recyclables and exhibited at Reverse Garbage, Brisbane.  You can see some examples of this on my facebook page 
Asking if I have a favourite piece is like asking if I have a favourite child – they are all special in different ways.  

I love the white flower cushion because I learned about layering and beading. 
I love the lap rugs for their texture and luxury and, 
I love their bags for their colour and vibrancy.
I am currently re-evaluating my business as my focus on mainly one-off designs may not be the way forward.  It’s not always easy finding time for my passion as I also work full time running a cleaning business with my husband.  For the future I hope to be creating more and working less.
Dear readers, do you want to see more? Here is how you can connect; 

Visit the sjsmith website here: 


become a follower on facebook here: 


buy lovely things on Etsy here: 


and on Madeit here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment