Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday Friends - DUSTy Divas - Nari Design Pot

Hello readers, how was your week? Busy busy here, looking forward to some serious rest and relaxation this weekend and a trip to the hairdresser which is long overdue. If the sun shines, perhaps I will venture out to weed the vege patch ready for late autumn planting. If the sun doesn't shine, I have plenty of blog posts to prepare and photos that I have been meaning to edit. 

Today it is my great pleasure to introduce to you all a new Friday Friend and DUSTy Diva, meet the very clever Nari of Nari Design Pot. 
Nari creates the loveliest of things. Let me share some with you now. I adore the vibrant colours of this Fabric Mosaic "Teal Heart in Orange Field" Necklace. So beautiful!
For a sweet and unuasual thank you card, look no further than this Hand Drawn Elephant Thank You Card. I LOVE the image of the Elephant Holding a Flower Tray, it's just too sweet for words!
This Three Strand Multimedia Textile Bracelet is a real statement piece, in Red, Teal, Brown and Green. True Gypsy Fashion in Fabric, Felt, Polymer, Yarn, Glass Beads. Gorgeous! 

Dear readers, now that I have shared some of my favourite things from Nari Design Pot, I invite you to learn more about Nari and her work in The Tale of Nari Design Pot. Happy reading everyone, I hope you will join me on Sunday Evening for the Weekend Blog Post xo♥

The Tale of Nari Design Pot  

Who is Nari Design Pot?
Nari is my name and I’m the one person who’s creating, photographing and shipping lovely jewelry items and hand drawn cards on Etsy.

How and When did your handmade/artistic journey begin?
I‘ve always been crafty and busy with my fingertips, probably taking after my father who was a philosophy teacher but very artistic and a great calligrapher/illustrator when he had time off from teaching. But then I hadn‘t really thought of selling my creations until I met this lady at my son‘s swimming class one day who saw me sewing a brooch and said “You MUST sell this.“ She said it so earnestly and with such enthusiasm that I couldn‘t think otherwise. I opened my etsy shop after 5 months.
What kind of things do you make/create?
After a trial period, I‘ve settled (for the time being, cause I love change!) on creating jewelry (bracelets, necklaces and brooches) and home deco items using felt, fabric, wool yarn and polymer clay. I also make hand drawn cards and colouring sheets. My cards take a long time to create but they are personalised and drawn directly by me, not ever printed, which makes them unique. I have some colouring sheets in my shop as well because I just love colouring myself and I want to share it with others. For me, colouring is a way of meeting my inner self. It’s a healing process, and a moment of total peace.

What inspires you?
I love reading fiction and poetry, having majored literature at Uni. Good stories and poems are what most effectively uplift and motivate me when I’m lacking new ideas, feel depleted or depressed, or get stuck in the course of a creative progress. I’m a member of poets.org and I get a poem a day in my mailbox to start the day. That poem I read in the morning sometimes turns into an artistic idea and often gives me inspiration for making treasuries on etsy!

I also find huge inspiration in the artwork of Matisse and Hundertwasser. That’s probably because I love experimenting with colours and colour combinations, and these artists are true masters in that field.

And of course, coffee! Coffee is the answer for everything!

What mediums do you work with - do you have a favourite?
When I first opened my shop I was working mostly with thick felt and polymer clay. This year I‘ve incorporated fabric and yarn, which has added so much texture to my creations. I particularly favour wool yarn for the endless variety of colours it can hold and the softness it offers both visually and by touch.
Do you have a favourite technique?
I like to step out of the typical use of materials and experiment new ways of transforming their use. I also like to mix different kinds of media and create non-traditional effects. My brooches are an example, which are made of felt (not needle felted but sewn), yarn (not knitted but twisted) and an assortment of beads.
Though a huge part of my work involves sewing, I still don’t know how to use a sewing machine. But I don't intend to learn in the near future, because I prefer the occasional wobbly stitches and that rustic feeling a real handwork creates. I rarely replicate my work which makes each piece one of a kind!

Do you have a favourite piece that you have made/created ?
I love my mixed-media necklaces, and one of my favourites is a five-pendant necklace I named ‘Saturday Brunch’ which was done in fabric, felt, yarn and beads. I haven’t had a nice cafe brunch in so many years as weekend mornings are busy entertaining my young boys! I loved every element of this one and I hope the lady who bought it earlier this year is enjoying wearing it too!
What are your future plans/dreams/aspirations?
I’m a dreamer and I have so many ideas of what to do with my life (with no concrete plans!). I do volunteer work for disabled children and I’m also thinking of studying interpretation a bit further, which will keep me pretty occupied, but whatever I do I’m sure I’ll be continuing this creative side and keeping my shop open!

Dear readers, do you want to see more? Here is how you can connect. 
Buy lovely things on Etsy here: 
http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/NariDesignPot
and become a follower on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/NariDesignPot

1 comment: