Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Friends - West Australian Makers - Kwai Jewellery

Happy Happy Friday lovely readers, it's the first week of Spring! Still waiting for the warmth to filter through; we have had plenty of spring rain so far :) The wildflowers down on the South Coast are starting to filter through and the whales are coming in closer to shore on their journey home. 
This week it is my absolute pleasure to introduce a new Friday Friend and West Australian maker, meet sweet Tabitha of Kwai Jewellery :) 
Tabitha makes everything from bags to unique jewellery to snuggly doggie minky blankets. Let me share some favourites that I found while browsing the Kwai Jewellery pages :) 

These elegant Amethyst Chandelier Earrings are just beautiful and would add a touch of glam to any outfit! 
Next is this bright (bring on Summer) Crucifix Bracelet made in a rainbow of colours - it's made from cool Turquoise and Howlite crosses. 
Our canine friend loves to share our snuggly throw rug, maybe it's time to get her one of her own....this Minky Blanket should keep any dog or puppy happy :) 
Dear friends, I invite you now to take some time out to read The Tale of Kwai Jewellery. Have a fantastic weekend, don't forget to stop and breathe in that fresh spring air, look out for wildflowers and most importantly enjoy yourself!
The Tale of Kwai Jewellery
I have always had a creative streak, ever since I was a little girl making clothes for my dolls. I then made clothes for my daughters when they were small, then did cross stitch and other embroidery projects. My mother taught me how to crochet and knit and I was always very good at art, sewing and other creative subjects at school. 
When I moved back to Perth after getting out of the Airforce I needed a distraction and started beading, that is when things really kicked off in that department. I collected lots of different types of beads, eventually moved into making more elaborate types of jewellery. I used to make just gifts for family and friends. Bead knitting and crocheting was something I did often, not so much anymore. My style and type of craft always evolved and changed and I dabbled with making purses and bags. Whilst my passion is really in bags and purses, I do just love creating in general.
I was urged to sell my things by friends and family and I came up with Kwai Creations, which was my first market stall at the Bassendean Markets here in Perth, WA. The results were mixed. Some things sold very well while others did not. I did find myself creating things FOR the market, rather than selling my things AT the market. I felt my style got a bit lost in translation and I wasn’t able to really sell some of the stunning more expensive pieces I had painstakingly spent hours creating bead by bead. I decided that that particular market was not for me.I then opened an ETSY store. I set up my website with a cohesive collection of bracelets and earrings with a skulls theme. The Kwai Skulls Collection was born. 
It encompasses skulls and crystals, sterling silver and pearls, together in a stylish yet simple design. I designed my logo around KWAI – which is my middle name and came up with a heading, logo, packaging, business cards and fully fledged professional label and catalogue all under Kwai Jewellery.

My inspiration comes from being challenged, seeing things in nature and in the shops and on TV that are beautifully intricate and to try and replicate. I have made a few stunning bridal necklaces, bridesmaid necklaces or ball necklaces that resemble snowflakes, that were made by picking up individual beads and stringing them together one by one. (picture included crystal on neck – this is the fire opal version. 
Whilst time consuming, the outcome is something really special
I have recently used resin and discovered all the wonderful things you can make with that. Definitely creates one a kind items that are impossible to re-create because of the way the resin sets, with the things you set inside it. Lots of fun to work with, albeit a little messy! I think I actually prefer making one of a kind items. It just happens that some things cannot be copied no matter how hard you try, which is not always a bad thing unless you make something absolutely amazing and WANT to make it again.

My partner has also helped me with a few projects. He likes working with polished semi-precious gemstones and similar items. One of my favourite pieces, he created with me and it is really special. Blue goldstone is one of my favourites and the fairy just sits with the stone in a really gorgeous one of a kind necklace. 
I use Swarovski Crystals only as I think they are the best and I make sure I make my jewellery to last. I use only the best components and metals and offer a workmanship guarantee. One thing I really dislike, is buying a necklace to go out somewhere and it breaks after the first wear!!

I am going to open another ETSY store for bags and purses, keeping my jewellery separate from my other creations. Hope to get that organised in a few weeks once I have finished putting the finishing touches on a new little line of coin purses and a few bags. I have been hard at work, coming up with a few different sized handbags, simple yet stylish mid sized leather and vinyl goods with matching coin purses.
Online marketplaces make it so much easier to reach everyone and I can be found on;
Kwai Jewellery’s own page:  http://www.kwai.com.au
I am looking at getting into another market near my home, possibly the Kalamunda Markets. This will be something new for me to strive towards. I will also be looking to start doing some jewellery with silver clay and enamelling. I think that way I will be able to create things from the bottom up, truly one of a kind pieces. I would like to come up with that one item that really wows everyone and make my life around it, creating a business that is not only sustainable, but popular and fun, that I can make a living from too.

No comments:

Post a Comment