Maddabling recently spied this recipe in STM magazine and had to try it!
Maddabling faithfully followed the recipe and promises you that it was worth every chocolatey step.
Here it is lovely readers so you can try it for yourself. This is a Donna Hay recipe: http://www.donnahay.com.au/
and there is another variation on this recipe on the Donna Hay website too!
Happy Baking and bon appétit!
SALTED CARAMEL BROWNIE SANDWICH COOKIES
350g Dark Chocolate, chopped
40g Unsalted butter
⅔ cup (150g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ (35g) cup plain flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
Salted Caramel Frosting
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
¼ cup (60ml) water
½ cup single (pouring) cream
150g unsalted butter, chopped
Sea Salt Flakes for sprinkling
Method: (makes 12)
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Place 200g of the chocolate and the butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Set aside.
3. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy.
4. Stir through the flour, baking powder, chocolate mixture and remaining chocolate and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
5. Drop tablespoonsful of the mixture on to baking trays lined with non stick baking paper, allowing room to spread, and bake for 8-10 minutes or until completely puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on the trays.
6. To make the salted caramel icing, put the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir with a metal spoon until the sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium, bring to the boil and cook, without stirring, for 8-9 minutes or until golden.
7. Remove from the heat and carefully add the cream and butter.
8. Return the saucepan to the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
9. Refrigerate until completely cool.
10. Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk the mixture until soft peaks form.
11. Spread half the cookies with the icing, sprinkle with the salt and sandwich with the remaining cookies.