Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Friday, November 16, 2012

Friday Friends - Local Artist - Sherrees Stitches from the Heart

Happy Friday lovely Maddabling Blog Readers. I hope you are all happy and well. Maddabling is flat stick at the moment, getting final preparation completed for the upcoming Summer Street Fair which will be bigger, better and longer than ever this year. The Summer Street Fair is at a NEW venue, and is open from: Thursday 29/11/2012 to Sunday 2/12/2012 - for the venue and opening times, you can check out all the details here: http://www.facebook.com/SummerStreetFair 

This week I have a truly inspirational Guest Blogger and local Artist - meet Sherree from Sherrees Stitches from the Heart. Sherree makes the sweetest things, I will share a few with you now. 

How lovely are these baby blankets and small nursery hangers which have removable waterproof insert for ease of laundering...
Burp Cloths which are extra long and thick.. covers breast for modesty, and down to the shoulder blade at the back; made from flannel with a toweling backing... 
and ever practical Hanging towels - suitable for kitchen, bathroom, laundry, fishing too - finished towel size 30cm x 40cm and there are many colours available.
Now dear readers, time for me to hand you over to my Guest Blogger, to enjoy the inspirational Story of Sherrees Stitches from the Heart. Take care everyone, see you all again soon xo 

The Story of Sherrees Stitches from the Heart 
My name is Sherree.  My little hobby "Sherrees Stitches from the Heart" came about as a way to keep myself occupied and from going bonkers.  Due to a couple of accidents I find myself unable to compete in mainstream employment.  I am also an unpaid carer, oncall24/7, for my parents. I have always had a creative streak, the first exploration was as a hairdresser.  I have both worked for other salons, managing some, and also had my own business back in the 80's. Throughout my teens and early 20's I did a lot of sewing - making clothes for myself and experimenting with some furnishings. 
After my car accident when I was 40 I was unable to continue along this line and decided to try counted cross stitch, making a lot of little pieces - some of which I still have that need to be made into an end product. Unfortunately this is not a medium that is appreciated anymore these days. I also made some larger pieces as a customer request, that were framed for presents. These were picture size...50cm x 40cm.
In 2009 I had the second of my accidents - this one affecting my right arm (yes, I am right hand dominant), and spent almost 2 years in a brace and sling.  This accident affected the fine motor skills, effectively ending my cross stitching and knitting days. I turned again to my trusty sewing machine and also started attending Clothing and Textile classes at the local TAFE to enhance and fine tune my knowledge and skills.  I am still attending these, it is fun and a great social interaction.
While I enjoy making the odd thing for myself I get more satisfaction making for others.  I love seeing the enjoyment on someones face when they find that little something they have been looking for.  This is what lead to the creation of Sherrees Stitches from the Heart.  The naming came about because I do not charge much about cost... every item is "made with love and from the heart".
My main medium is cotton.  It is a natural fibre and durable, comes in many forms and is very versatile. I pride myself on being 95% sustainable.  Most left over bits are either used by myself or passed on to others who can use them.  I prefer not to give plastic bags to the customer, instead opting for brown paper bags.
All pieces I make are my favourites for many different reasons, as each is different from the other. I love getting asked to make something not on my stall.  I always say "if I can find it I can make it".  The worst part about that is that everyone want to "copy" your idea.  My goods are always functional to the end user, able to be washed at home (no drycleaning), and made in a smoke free and pet free environment.
http://www.facebook.com/SherreesStitchesFromTheHeart was set up a short while back, with the aim of getting enough exposure and online orders to reduce the numbers of markets I am attending.  This is very telling on the residual problems I have from my accidents.  I am also a member of the Albany Buy sell and swap (babies and kids), Albany Buy and Sell, and Buy and Sell Albany.
My drive and passion to create is only limited by my imagination - and that is sometimes very vivid.  Other than what is on my webpage I also have walker caddies, glasses cases, makeup/toiletry bags (all sizes), tablet-ipad sleeves, fabric yoyo clowns, drawstring totes for travelling. As a seasonal sideline I also have pickles, jams, chutneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment