Welcome to my blog. I work full time and creating is my sanity. I like to use many different mediums and was a finalist in the Fire Mountain Beading Contest in 2008. I am a passionate blogger, and a promoter of handmade goodness.

I love : my husband, my fur kids, family, music, sunshine, creating, chocolate, handmade soaps, the DUST Team, gardening, friends, Triple J Radio and photography. Comments welcome, I hope you enjoy the adventure with me.

Please respect my copyright and that the original ©photographs and ©text published on this blog remain the property of ©Maddabling (Samara). Please do not reproduce, crop or alter my original photographs.

made with love.........................maddabling xox




proud member of the down under street team

Friday, February 6, 2015

Friday Friends - DUSTy Divas - RiverGum Jewellery

Hi lovely Maddabling readers, it's Friday yay! Maddabling has no grand plans for the weekend, perhaps it might be time to relax and potter about the place not doing anything much at all! 

This week I am very pleased to introduce to you a new Friday Friend, Australian Maker and DUSTy Diva, meet the fabulous Robyn of RiverGum Jewellery.
Over the years I have become quite the connoisseur of RiverGum Jewellery pieces over the times and have several pieces in my personal collection. Want to see? I think my first piece of Rivergum was these delightful Blue mandarin swirl drop earrings.
My next was this stunning simple Coin Pearl Necklace in Sterling Silver.
I also have two beautiful bracelets, one in sterling silver with turquoise and sponge coral 
and one with hand hammered links in sterling silver. 
Dear readers, I invite you now to pop your feet up, perhaps make a cuppa and read the inspirational story that is The Tale of RiverGum Jewellery. Have a fantastic weekend, no matter how you choose to spend it xo♥
The Tale of RiverGum Jewellery
My name is Robyn and I live on a 2½ acre property not far from the historic Emu Bottom homestead in Sunbury, Victoria, Australia, with my gorgeous husband Stuart and two Jack Russell terriers, Jack and Ellie. 
We are ‘empty-nesters’, our daughter and son now adults leading their own, very exciting lives. I absolutely adore living in this semi-rural spot with its kangaroos, echidnas and birdlife despite seeing the occasional snake or nasty ant or spider. 
My career path has been varied, starting off with a degree in Theology and a Diploma in Education and Pianoforte, playing piano and teaching music. These days I help my husband daily with bookkeeping, teach my piano students after school and make jewellery in between. Late last year I was thrilled to be invited by Lexi Erikson to contribute tutorials to Wubbers University, a wonderful online resource for all styles of jewellery making.
My interest in jewellery making began when my daughter left home at 18 to study music theatre in WA. I was heavily involved in her music activities, taking her to singing and dancing classes around Melbourne and I knew there would be a huge hole to fill when she left. 
My niece arrived from across the country with a little box of beads and some jewellery tools. She was inspired by her friend. I was inspired by her and I haven't looked back. There is always a challenge and something new to learn. Last year I completed a Stone Setting course at Northern Metropolitan Institute of Technology. It was great learning new skills while meeting like minded people.
The name ‘RiverGum’ came about through an intersection of ideas and events – my love of semi-precious stones created in and by the earth over many years, a beautiful old gum tree at the front of our property that we can see from every window and the name of the paint we were using on our pergola at the time . For me, the name evokes a feeling of timelessness, enduring and long-lasting, the kind of qualities I would like for my jewellery pieces.
Much of my creative process comes while sitting peacefully in my studio with my metal and gemstones with some soulful jazz music playing in the background. An idea starts to form, time stops and a new creation begins. Lately I have taken to pen and paper, drawing a design to scale and then transcribing it onto cardboard to gauge how it will look and sit. I prefer simple pieces with easy, fluid lines. I test each piece for durability and ease of wear. If it doesn’t sit right and needs constant adjusting it goes back to the design board. I try not to look at other people’s work or be swayed by what is in fashion.
When I am not creating a new piece, I love to read and listen to music. I always have a book on the go (I average at least a book a week so I am always on the lookout for a new author) and there is always music playing in the house and studio. Gardening is also a passion. We have an indigenous garden. It has been lots of years in the making and design, battling the elements, clay and rocky soil, and the rabbits, but it is great to see it take shape.
I also love travelling with my husband, something we have been able to do since the family have left home. Overseas or a day in the country, it doesn’t matter. I feel so inspired and refreshed when I return.

My jewellery can be found in my etsy shop: 
www.RiverGumJewellery.etsy.com
I have my gallery and blog on my website:
www.rivergumjewellery.com
And you can follow what I am currently making or discovering on my Facebook page 
https://www.facebook.com/RiverGumJewellery

No comments:

Post a Comment